Our mission at the shop has always been to get our community back to the table to eat together. Whether it’s over a cozy home-cooked meal or your favourite takeout, we know important conversations happen around the table, memorable traditions are formed and lasting relationships are built by sharing your meals together. It’s a pretty simple concept but one that is often lost in our too-busy-to-make-time culture.
With that said, we know that Back to School is a particularly special time to get back to the table and to be sure we’re engaging with and checking-in on our kids and family members who are shifting back into a more strenuous routine. Dinner around the table and forming predictable routines means our kids, whether small or tall, feel a sense of security and belonging at home. Not only that, there has been plenty of research that shows teens who have between five and seven family dinners per week received better grades in school, as well as the family time providing a critical role in language acquisition leading to improved vocabularies and better readers compared to those teens who have fewer than three family dinners per week. In addition, only 9% of teens who ate frequently with their families did poorly in school, according to the report. Hard to argue with those amazing benefits!
While there is no question that eating together is beneficial in so many ways, we know it isn’t always easy or enjoyable to rush home from work to pull together a healthy meal for your family. That’s where we come in. The meals we cook are made with ingredients we want to feed our own families, organic and local when we can, but always real, whole and nutritious. Our dinners for two are usually enough for 2 adult portions with some leftovers, and if you’ve got time to throw together a simple salad or steam some vegetables, you’ve got a wholesome meal you barely have to think about. Our Fresh Meal Service, portioned for 2, 3, 4 or more is very generous and almost always provides leftovers for lunch the next day.
Here are some other suggestions for nourishing meals and snacks you can pick up for hectic back-to-school lunches and dinners.
– Our frozen Burritos can be thawed and reheated at 375 for 15-20 minutes and make an awesome lunch option for work and school alike
— Both the Salmon Salad Nicoise, and the Asian Noodle Bowl can be served cold, making them ideal for quick, hearty lunches
— Our sandwiches are large and would likely offer 2 lunches for 1 kid, depending on appetite.
— Red Apron Hummus with Fresh Veggies or Pita
– Against the Grain Purple Tortilla Chips with Grilled Corn and Tomato Salsa
– Our Kale Slaw With Carrots Cabbage & Apple Cider Vinaigrette keeps well and can be served on the side or as a topper for tacos or burgers.
– Our single-serve freezer meals make excellent lunches if you have access to a microwave
– Our Southwestern Organic Black Bean, Sweet Potato & Corn Salad With Chili Lime Dressing is a protein-packed option that keeps well in the fridge and offers a filling snack or meal whenever your hunger kicks in
– Red Apron stocks a variety of local cheeses and crackers that make excellent lunch box snacks with a few grapes or apple slices
– If you’re looking for a sweet treat for your little (or big) ones, our nut-free carrot cake is a school-safe option your kids are sure to love!
We want to help you and your loved ones return to the table this Back-to-School season, so pop in and ask us how we can help you stock your fridge or freezer with meals and ingredients to feed your friends and family!